Thursday, February 7, 2008

I almost lost my mom this week...


So it has been a really crazy week so far...even if you take away that work is crazy with legislative session going on and Alex having 3 teeth pulled on Tuesday. For those of you who don't know my has Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Alpha-1), in short she has genetic lung disease.


She has not been feeling well for the last few days, Tuesday morning after only about 2 hours of sleep she work up with a 101.2 temperature. When I talked to here she said she felt icky, but nothing major. My step-dad went to work as normal (1:30 - pm - 11:30 pm). That night she started to feel really bad, she couldn't get enough oxygen (with her disease she has lost a lot of elasticty in her lungs). She couldn't get a hold of my stepdad at work and he left his cell phone at home. She started to panic, when he got home she was in respitory failure. He called 911 and the ambulance came and got her. He called me to let me know what was going and said he call me later.


At 2:30 he called and told me I needed to come because she wasn't turning around. I panicked, for many reasons, it's my mom, she is only 50, I am the one who has to make decisions for her medically if they have to be made...on and on and on. I emailed my dad and family before I left the house in a panic of my own, texted a couple of my friends on the way. Crying most of the way there and then I stopped and started sending vibes to my mom..."You are a fighter, girl-up, put your big girl panties on and fight this. I am not ready to lose you!"


When I got to the hospital, she had a mask on with a 5-point harness giving her albutirol, they had given her steroids and they were waiting for it to kick in. Her heart was 222 and blood pressure was 197/108. She was fighting the mask, the doctor and nurse kept telling her that if they took it off they would have to put a tube down her throat. At one point after getting there I almost passed out, I told the nurse I didn't feel good, they made me lay down and put cold rags on my head and got me some juice. I laughed later and told the nurse that my mom was getting to attention, because obviously everything is about me....lol


As the morning went on and she fought with the mask and became more awnery, her ehart rate went down to 150 and bloodpressure was at 120/66. MUCH better. She finally went to sleep at about 4:30, they then moved her to the ICU. She spent yesterday sedated and being pumped full of steroids and antibiotics.


I spoke with her this morning, they will be moving her to her own room today. She says she is feeling a lot better. She is very emotional right now, which is to be expected. They had to pump 80 percent of carbon dioxide out of her lungs that night.


The doctor told my stepdad and I that we almost lost her. The awesome thing about the doctor, he was the doctor who was in the ER in February 05, that told my mom about Alpha 1 and that she should be tested. So he knew her history and he knew how serious her situation was. So thank goodness for that.


So at this time she is on the road to recovery, but we don't know how long she will be in the hospital. I will keep you updated as I know more.

4 comments:

Cheryl Z said...

oh, janea........ prayers for your mom. 50 is way too young. i'm glad she pulled through for you.... cherylz

Jules said...

Hi Janea, I also have Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Defiency. I'm glad your mum is on the road to recovery. I hope she is feeling much better. Just thought I'd share my web-page with you that features info. and other people that have been effected with Alpha-1. The link is -
http://www.myspace.com/gypsiejules
Feel free to e-mail anytime.

Jules :)

Anonymous said...

Janea,
Thanks for letting the L&L list know about your mom. I have Alpha-1 as well. I'm 44. I seen you mentioned Legislative session. I work for the Legisature in WV and we are currently in session. It's a hectic time! Please keep up updated about your mom and tell her love and prayers are going out to her.
Neva
http://www.myspace.com/nevamaynor
nevamaynor@suddenlink.net

All Things Beadiful said...

(((Hugs))) and prayers to you and your family. I'm so glad your mom made it through.